Thursday, January 15, 2009

Something Cleverish

Pin It When I heard about Stephanie Nielson's plane crash, I wanted to help raise funds, but couldn't quite figure out how to go about it. (Just reading CJane's blog and repeatedly freaking out over the horror of the accident turned out to be a surprisingly ineffective fundraising strategy.)

Lots of other bloggers were auctioning off things they'd cooked/sewn/drawn in order to help raise money, but I'm what you might call domestically challenged, so that was out. I thought about selling off one of my kids to aid the cause, but the Husband put a stop to it. (What, we couldn't part with ONE of them? Selfish.)

But laughing at funny stuff other bloggers wrote? THAT was something I could do, and thus the idea of putting together a book of amusing blog posts was born. We held a little contest asking bloggers to submit their funniest posts, and the response was overwhelming. (Seriously. I'd look at that contest email every day and then have to go lie down for a while, visions of editing for nine thousand years running through my brain. There are a LOT of funny people out there.)

The Something Cleverish book features posts from forty-three funny bloggers - all for one great cause. We even managed to rope in a few celebrity submissions from Finslippy, Eric D. Snider, Rocks in My Dryer, Big Mama, Sweetney, Daring Young Mom, TAMN and more. (You can find a list of all of the bloggers included in the book here.)

All proceeds go directly to the NieNie Recovery fund. I know some people may be starting to get a little weary of hearing about this, but the medical bills they have and will continue to have are absolutely overwhelming. This is still a family very much in need. If you've been wondering what to buy people for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, or Groundhog Day, or Valentines Day - WONDER NO MORE. You can purchase a paperback or buy a downloadable copy here.

Please buy a copy (or two) (or three) (or heck - seven) and please spread the word, by posting about it or putting the Something Cleverish Blog Book button on your blog. (Cover art and book button created and generously donated by Melissa Bastow of MissyB Designs. Thanks Melissa!)



GRAB THIS BUTTON:

46 comments:

  1. Wooo Hooo! I know what all my friends are getting for President's Day!
    Thanks, Sue, for making it happen. I can't wait to read it, and I love that it's for such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still in awe of how many people out there have hearts of gold. I wish that the news covered good stories rather then just the big and ugly. The world is full of good people and I refuse to believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. And on my birthday, too!
    HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Is it important that I see those other images that are only showing up as red Xs? The only thing showing up is the button itself that I can see in your sidebar. What are the other thingies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!!! I might save mine for St Patricks day gifts - - now that's a real holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Consider it grabbed. Thanks for making it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm.... Is it looking weird for other people too? Abby - try hitting F5?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, nothing. Are they important?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby - it's the button and the code to grab the button. It's odd that you can't see it - I'm not sure why that would be...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just in time for Valentine's Day - my husband will be so relieved! Thank you for using your creative brain to help Nie Nie, and for including us in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have ordered my copy!

    hooray, absolutely cannot wait to read it :)

    curious--will the book have the real person's names or their blog names? or both?

    looking forward to getting it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi MM! It depends on what that particular blogger wanted. Some wanted their full names, some requested blog names only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesomeness :)

    So explain to me again how the money made from the book will be divvy'd up?

    i seem to dimly recall something about publisher fees and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I'm so excited to read it!
    I can see the picture for the book and the code for the button, but there are read x's around them. Did you have more than one image on there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful gift! I put it on my side bar and linked it back to you - you giver of good things, you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good question. People will probably want to know this.

    I self published it on Lulu. Lulu takes about $8 as the fee for making the paperback book. If you buy the PDF/downloadable copy, Lulu doesn't charge the fee.

    The rest is automatically deposited in the Nielson's account.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dang, I'm not sure what's happening. I will check it out, see if I can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exactly what Melinda said. I see the picture of the book cover and the code, which I've already used and added appropriately. But what were those other three Xs for?

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, I fixed it. The Xs should be gone now - let me know if they aren't. (They weren't important, as it turned out :>)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still see one X left. But that's better than three, which was really raising my blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see the book cover and one red X which I assume is the button.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so stoked about this. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would absolutely love to put the button on my blog, but I don't know how!! Can anyone help out? And I am a complete idiot with this, so I need step-by-step. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way to go! I know the book took a ton of work on your end.

    (Also, glad you said you're doing a remodel. That cow is funny, but I don't want him STAYING here.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow..what a wonderful idea1
    -sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I am still stoked!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Sue!!! I've ordered three (so far!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very, very fun!

    What a lot of work! You deserve chocolate. Or maybe ice cream. Both?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Neatest idea ever. I like the COW actually. I make the best mooo sounds EVER. but thanks for putting the book together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Interrupting cow.
    Interrupting co...
    MOOOOOO!

    All I see it the way cute cover of the book! I'll grab that button fo' sho!

    So glad it's done!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. lots and lots of work. thanks for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a great idea!! I'll definitely be purchasing a copy or two!

    Thanks for organising this for us all to enjoy.

    Saskia x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Found you through Green Jello (another fellow Utah blogger). I wanted to take a peek over here and I really like it over here. This looks like a great cause.

    Nice to meetcha!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous6:25 PM

    That's great! I'll try buy a copy, and I'll paste the button on my page :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. It looks awesome! I feel so honored to be in it! Thanks for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Totally cute button! I just put it up on my blog, and am looking forward to reading the book soon!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Curious Donor - I'm deleting your comment. Quite a bit of the book is new material, but not all of it. Other than that, I don't feel the need to get into it, other than to say I did the best I could, balancing this with a job and a family and a life. If you have a good idea for a fundraiser, by all means, pursue that idea - but please don't nitpick what I tried to do.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sweet! Helping Nie Nie from Seattle has been hard. I'm getting copies of this for all my VT girls for valentines day! Who needs chocolates for the hips when you can have laughter for the lips! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yahoo! I can't wait to read it. Off to download it from Lulu!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have been a very good girl and ordered one.

    I could use a pick-me-up anyway. So really, I'm just being selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Well, rather than have you die, I am commenting as a first-time visitor. I love the idea of the book but I'm wondering if I can get a snippet to tickle my funny bone to make the credit card fall out to buy a book?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hey, is there a way to see how many books have been sold on Lulu? ericaengland@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hey, is there a way to see how many books have been sold on Lulu? ericaengland@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a awesome idea! Can't wait to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I can't wait to buy this! what a beautiful idea for their family!!

    ReplyDelete