Saturday, November 17, 2007

Welcome to Oz

Pin It There was a bit of excitement this morning.



A hot air balloon unexpectedly touched down in the neighborhood.




Within seconds, the balloon was overrun with children. The hot air balloon pilot said, "I've never seen a neighborhood with so many kids." Indeed.


They were affable and friendly, and gave children from the neighborhood hot air balloon rides...


My daughter did not take them up on their kind offer.


They gave rides....


Until they ran out of helium...


But no worries, the kids helped them to get the balloon squared away.



There was a couple riding in the balloon. They were on a blind date, which was being filmed for a local TV show.



The guy teased all of the children and joked around with them, telling them they'd flown the balloon all the way from Disneyland. I think the girl liked him quite a bit.


The kids helped to put the balloon in the - balloon putter awayer thingie...



Then helped to make sure it was packed away tightly by sitting on top of it.

The balloon landing crew (or whatever you call 'em) came to pick up the stranded balloonists and the kids gradually wandered away...

It was a day they will remember for a long time.

23 comments:

  1. That is so nifty! What a cool experience for the kids - and the look on your daughter's face? Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is that!!! You sure don't see that every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:50 PM

    awww...this reminded me of how much fun I had when my husband and I was on one on our honeymoon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unexpected surprises like that make for the best days don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...those kids are lucky! All the kids in my neighborhood get is the occassional rabid raccoon and a stipped down car on blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well of course she didn't ride! (That could almost qualify as magical...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun surprise. I cannot believe how long "Sarah's" hair is, it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, how cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:16 PM

    Aw, sounds like a really great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot air balloons were a regular occurance when we first moved to Park City. I would run outside every time and take pictures of the balloons fly over our house or sometimes landing in our street. But those pilots weren't a nice as the one who gave the kids free rides today! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The daughter is priceless! What a fun day for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So. Much. Fun. I love that all the children got to help put the balloon away afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I come live there? What a blind date. And what a morning in your neighborhood! Seriously. I'll, like, make muffins and smiley face cookies and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:22 PM

    I wish I could go up in a hot air balloon. My kids always got so excited about stuff like that. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:37 PM

    That is so great! Your children will remember it forever. I'm glad you took lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. um HELLO, that balloon looked awful familiar to me.
    see here (I'm not smart enough to know how to post links for real and like mess with HTML and whatnot):

    http://kallikverb.blogspot.com/2007/09/my-supercool-weekend-ghetto-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, it was the SAME BALLOON! Woah. He is apparently a very bad balloon driver.

    Hmmmm.... Kalli, you must live near me! !! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *love* the picture of your daughter. The money shot!

    My boys would have been all over that hot air balloon.

    BTW, the mountains in the background? Amazing! I can't believe you live there!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's so cool, and great pictures too! We only get forest fires around here for excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HOW VERY COOL.

    We have a balloon festival every year, my kids love it, though will not go up in them either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wild (and public) first date! Sounds like lots of fun for the kiddos...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too fun! Only in Utah would you see not only, 1)a couple on a date riding in a hot air balloon, and 2)the hot air balloon landing in the middle of a neighborhood! Pandemonium I tell ya! I LOVE the look on Megan's face....that is so much like Nikki!

    ReplyDelete